Saturday, February 27, 2010

Things I Cannot Do

This is an oldie but goodie. It is especially good advice for parents to give their teenage children. I did not create it...but it is worth posting here for you to read. I love you all more than I can ever say in words. I hope that you know that. As a mom, the only things that I want for you are to be happy, healthy, and to know the Lord. I can not give you any of those things. They are all results of choices that you will make. Choose wisely! XXOO

I can share your life...but I cannot live it for you.
I can teach you things...but I cannot make you learn.
I can give you directions...but I cannot always lead you.

I can allow you freedom...but I cannot account for you.
I can take you to church...but I cannot make you believe.
I can teach you right from wrong...but I cannot decide for you.

I can give you love...but I cannot force it upon you.
I can teach you to be a friend...but I cannot make you one.
I can teach you to share...but I cannot make you unselfish.

I can teach you respect...but I cannot force you to show honor.
I can tell you the facts of life...but I cannot build your reputation.
I can tell you about lofty goals...but I cannot achieve them for you.

I can teach you to obey...but I cannot answer for your actions.
I can warn you about sins...but I cannot make your morals.
I can love you as my child...but I cannot place you in God's family.

I can pray for you...but I cannot make you walk with God.
I can teach you about Jesus...but I cannot make him your Savior.
I can teach you about prayer...but I cannot make you pray.

I can tell you how to live...but I cannot give you eternal life.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Patty, nice to meet you. I'm guessing you found me through the marvelous Jenny Matlock. Thanks for coming to visit! I love this list of truths, so well spoken. My kids are 10 and 13, and these words ring so true. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete